Council is seeking community input on site options for additional public toilet capacity in Berry. There is concern about the lengthy queuing outside the facility in Alexandra Street, which will get worse as tourist numbers increase in the CBD. Council will make the final decision on location, but the community has an opportunity now to register its view.
Criteria for Site Selection
- Land is Council owned and visual impact should affect a minimum number of residents
- The location should be within the CBD, or visible from the CBD and only a short walk away
- There should be ready access to existing sewerage, water and electricity services
- The architectural design of the facility should align with that of the township.
- At the eastern end of Broughton car park
- In Alexandra Street by the Park, between Princess and Victoria Streets (a petition with 300 signatures has been received opposing this site)
- Extension of the existing facility in Alexandra Street (by 2.5m to include two toilets)
- Upgrade of the existing Apex Park site to make it more accessible (a Council survey shows most visitors prefer to queue at the Alexandra St facility than walk to Apex Park)
Option Discarded by Council
The Alexandra St taxi rank site by the service station – due to inadequate distance between the service station driveway and the corner of Queen St to allow for safe vehicle turning.
At the next Forum meeting on 12 October, you can ask questions and express your view. We will then record the meeting’s preferences and pass the results to Council.
If you wish to influence Council’s decision, we encourage you to attend the meeting.