Draft Minutes of the Berry Forum Meeting
Held October 11 2018 7:30pm at the Berry School of Arts
Present: 217 people attended the meeting, including Deputy Mayor Patricia White
Apologies: Clr. John Wells
Welcome and Introduction (David Carter – Chairman)
Minutes of the meeting held on Aug 16 2018 were approved
– Request for increase in Council CCB subsidy
– Proposal for Telstra mobile phone base station
– Draft Shoalhaven Contributions Plan
– Advice from Mayor re full Council briefing for Huntingdale Stages 8&9 approval
– Edward St Bridge update re geotechnical investigation complete
– Request for centre line marking on Bryces Rd & Agars lane
Boongaree (District Park) Status (Liliana Hutchinson – Council)
Liliana’s presentation is available on the Forum website.
Local volunteers are coordinating construction of the ‘pump track’.
Director Finance, Corporate & Community Services (Stephen Dunshea)
Stephen provided a brief summary of his background and experience and the areas at Council he is now responsible for. He outlined the challenges he faced and his approach to community engagement. He is currently working on a Tourism model for the Shoalhaven that should be ready to present to the Forum in January.
iAccelerate – Australia’s largest business start-up accelerator/incubator (Omar Khalifa)
Omar is the CEO and he explained what iAccelerate offers and how its aim is to develop new businesses and employment in the Illawarra. Based at the University of Wollongong, IAccelerate helps students (average age 42) develop ideas and networks in starting up their own businesses. The community is encouraged to become involved and is welcome to take a tour of the facility at the North Wollongong Campus (presentation on website).
Short-term Rental Accommodation
Clr. White talked about the new planning legislation to govern issues with short stay property rentals such as Airb&b and Stayz. Once the legislation has been finalised and feedback has been gathered Clr. White will discuss the outcomes and implications at a Forum Meeting. The new legislation includes a code of conduct that property owners have to abide by, a register of properties and a dispute resolution tribunal.
Submissions can be made before 16 November (a link to the planning information is on the website).
Meeting closed at 8:38 pm
Next Forum Meeting 13 Dec 2018
- The Chairman’s & Treasurer’s Reports were confirmed (available on the Forum website)
- Committee members elected for 2018/19 were Geoff Armstrong, Mary Beare, David Brawn, Garry Broadbridge, David Carter, Margot Claringbold, Stuart Coughlan, John Cullity, Lynne de Graaf, Gail Paton, James Robinson, John Underwood and Laurie Watson.