75 people braved the elements and an unheated hall to attend the Forum meeting on Thursday. Attendees included Mayor Amanda Findley, Clr Jo Gash and three candidates for the Ward 1 election. Topics covered included the following –
Protecting Berry’s Character
Two Planning Proposals were discussed that directly affect Berry. Both are supported by the Forum.
PP056 Berry Heritage – the addition of 2 Heritage Conservation Areas and 12 heritage properties to the SLEP.
We have requested that Council also investigate the addition of further HCAs to protect Berry’s heritage streetscapes, and prioritise a revised DCP for Berry, similar to Milton’s, that aligns with the Illawarra Shoalhaven Regional Plan and integrates local character into planning documents. (View the Berry Historical Society’s – Heritage PP presentation)
PP060 Huntingdale – to amend the SLEP to rezone large lot properties from R1 to R5 Large Lot Residential (multiple dwellings prohibited).
Berry Infrastructure Updates
- Edward St bridge works are to be carried out by late November
- Flooding on part of the new footpath beside North Street is under investigation
- Budget provisions in future years for works on a footpath along Kangaroo Valley Road
- Queen St crossings status; the following two options are under review –
Option 1 – Current Plan
– raised crossings by the pharmacy (as existing) and by This Old House shop.
– kerb extension blisters by Albany St and Pr Alfred St
– 40kph limit from Albany St to Pr Alfred St
– same crossing locations, but not raised
– extend 40kph zone to Edward St
– raised traffic calming thresholds to be located by Edward St and east of Pr Alfred St instead of kerb extension blisters
Council Elections 4 September
Mayoral candidates –
Amanda Findley, Patricia White, Greg Watson, Mitchell Pakes, Mark Kitchener, Paul Green.
Ward 1 Lead Candidates
John Wells – Shoalhaven Independents
Tonia Gray – The Greens
Serena Copley – Shoalhaven Fresh Approach
Nicole Moore – Labor
Our intention is to invite these candidates to speak at the next Forum Meeting on 12 August.
Shoalhaven Solar Farm
Bob Hayward, the Convenor, Repower Shoalhaven Solar Farm Sub-Committee gave this presentation on the Solar Farm Project initiation and Outcome