Minutes for the Berry Forum Committee Meeting
Monday 6 July 2020 at 8.30am at the Uniting Church

Present: David Carter (Chair), Stuart Coughlan, John Underwood, David Brawn, Heather Macdonald, Laurie Watson, Mary Beare, John Cullity, Garry Broadbridge, Gail Paton
Apologies, Geoff Armstrong and James Robinson

Minutes of the Committee Meeting held on 15 June 2020: Approved
Actions arising from the Minutes – None

Planning & Development
Council’s Local Strategic Planning Statement is on public exhibition until 31 July. The Draft document contains a set of statements, priorities and actions. Our tourist accommodation review input needs to be addressed through the LSPS. Also, the need to maintain the character and sustain the appeal of Berry.
Given the length of the document, we should identify key extracts on the Forum website and advise the community via a newsletter.
Action: Stuart to circulate to Committee a draft of our input to the LSPS.
Action: Stuart to issue newsletter advising that the LSP is on public exhibition.

  • Mananga DA – Council has claimed that its approval of cumulative DCP variations will not set a precedent, but has provided no evidence to substantiate the claim.
  • Council’s Heritage Review is going to the 20 July Development Committee
  • Council has agreed to review the Committee’s recommendation to rezone HPE large lots from R1 to R2.

Infrastructure & Facilities

  • Amenities upgrade at Apex Park – the completion date is July/August
  • Edward St bridge – Laurie and Stuart to meet with Jatish Singh onsite to discuss concept plan,
  • KV footpath – the first section of the project is in the budget, but the rougher terrain between Kentia and Thomas Close should have higher priority Action: Laurie to draft letter to Council and circulate it to Committee
  • Queen St road marking: Laurie to ask Jatish on Thursday about timing of completion

Shoalhaven Solar Farm: The Repower initiative to facilitate the construction of a 3 MW solar farm in South Nowra is progressing well, and it should be operational in early 2021. Repower is working with the electricity retailer Flow Power.

Council Matters
Boongaree District Park funding is in the Budget.
Council agreed a rates increase of 2.6%

Other Business

  • There was unanimous agreement that extreme numbers of tourists visiting Berry in recent weeks have become oppressive and the implications need to be addressed.
  • The paragraph removed from our Town Crier will be resubmitted.
  • Chamber Committee to be asked to notify members that TFC petition claim was false.
  • Noise Barriers – Windsor Drive in Stage 1; Huntingdale in Stage 2, but not the Arbour.

Meeting Closed: 10:40 am

Next Committee meeting – 27 July
Next Forum meeting –Pending  ?